At Living in Christ Ministries we often get questions from those in the family of God who are seeking an increased understanding of how LICM functions. For those of you who have similar interests, here are some of the more frequently asked questions.
How did LICM Begin?
This ministry began in the early 1970's as a tape and radio outreach, when Bob Hoekstra was pastoring in Dallas Texas. Later, Calvary Chapel of Irvine, California adopted LICM as their outreach ministry during the eleven years that Bob was pastor there. In 1992, the 22 tape In-Depth Counseling God's Way Series was aired over KWVE in Southern California. This series was also offered to Calvary Chapel pastors across the country and around the world. Soon thereafter Bob was increasingly asked to conduct weekend seminars. Eventually, LICM became his full-time ministry.
How is LICM Financed?
The Lord provides the financial resources in a variety of ways. Although we are not underwritten financially by any church or combination of churches, a number of churches give to LICM as one of their missions outreaches at home and abroad. Also, there are families and individuals who send gifts regularly to this ministry. In addition, the churches that host seminars contribute to LICM by way of honorariums and/or offerings.
What About Fund-Raising Appeals?
Although we do not feel that it is against scripture to let ministry needs be known to other Christians, we want to be careful not to provoke any giving by fleshly motivations or carnal methodologies. We desire that all of God's people give first of all to their own church, then whenever and wherever the Holy Spirit may additionally indicate. At the same time, we do not want to make the family of God think that their gifts are unappreciated at LICM or that we do not welcome their financial participation. Many opportunities and projects for the building up of the church of Jesus Christ await those who are led of the Lord to invest in LICM.
How Can We Pray for LICM?
Many short-term prayer matters come and go month by month. These are listed in the "Prayer and Praise" section of our Quarterly Newsletters, which are sent out upon request. There are many on-going prayer needs that you may participate in every quarter including:
- The Lord's abounding grace upon LICM for every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- The Lord's blessing upon our LICM Family (Director, Bob Hoekstra and wife, Dini; Joe and Heidi Ceballos, son-in-law and daughter of Bob and Dini, who work with multimedia and Mailings and Office; as well as various interns and volunteers)
- Health and strength and protection for Bob.
- Wisdom and enabling from God, as Bob puts the LICM Seminars into book form.
- God's blessing upon the tens of thousands of LICM tapes, CDs, DVDs, MP3s, books, etc. in use at home and abroad.
- The Spirit of God to work mightily through His word in all of the ongoing teaching.
- Overall ministry prayer support to be sustained an even greatly increased